Our litigation practice comprises the entire range of civil litigation, representing business and individual plaintiffs as well as defendants in lawsuits over commercial contracts, construction, financing disputes, equipment and property leases, intellectual property and unfair trade practices, mediations and arbitrations, trade secrets, corporate ownership and shareholder disputes, employment claims, insurance, real estate, products liability, torts, personal injury, defamation and invasion of privacy, and probate. In short, we handle all varieties of civil litigation for our clients, with a focus on commercial and corporate disputes. We litigate in state and federal courts throughout Kansas and across the region.
We also handle appeals in both state and federal courts for clients who want new or additional representation on appeal by experienced and successful appellate counsel. We represent corporations, publicly and privately held companies, small businesses, start-ups, individuals, estates, nonprofits, educational institutions, and governments and government agencies. While we ensure that each case is adequately staffed, we do not overstaff cases and instead make every effort to handle each lawsuit in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
Martindell has been at the forefront of the rapidly evolving area of electronic discovery. Our lawyers emphasize a proactive – not a reactive – approach to document retention and management. We believe that the best time to prepare for discovery in complex litigation cases is before the case begins and long before the discovery requests arrive. Once litigation is underway, our lawyers are experienced in making electronic discovery efficient and effective.
Among our recent engagements are the following:
- Successful trial of shareholder action alleging breach of fiduciary duty resulting in judgment in excess of 1.2 million dollars.
- Successful prosecution and settlement of agricultural chemical products liability action resulting in confidential settlement representing 92% of presuit demand
- Successful prosecution and settlement of securities arbitration with claimed damages in excess of $1,000,000;
- Successful defense, by summary judgment, of national banking group in multimillion-dollar litigation involving allegations of breach of contract in relation to loan participation obligations
- Successful defense verdict in representation of regional bank group in lender liability litigation seeking in excess of $750,000 in damages
- Successful representation of regional bank group in recovering approximately $500,000 in cattle proceeds converted by feed yards
- Successful summary judgment motion in favor of hospital group sued by group-funded health insurance pool seeking damages in excess of $200,000
- Successful litigation on behalf of shareholders of closely held regional telephone company resulting in payments to 19 shareholders in excess of $50,000 per share
- Successful defense of physician in relation to litigation seeking damages in excess of $100,000 and injunctive relief involving allegations of breach of a non-competition covenant
- Successful defense as co-counsel in class litigation seeking $90 million for two certified classes alleging damages from leakage of natural gas from underground storage facility
- Successful defense of technology company in federal court litigation alleging unfair competition and Lanham Act violations and seeking injunctive relief and damages in excess of $2,000,000.00
- Successful prosecution of trade secret litigation resulting in spoliation sanctions and permanent injunctive relief against former officer of technology company
Our attorneys that practice in this area are S. Eric Steinle and Carole DeWald.