Email: [email protected]
Rachel A. Shannon was born and raised in Hutchinson, Kansas. After briefly leaving Hutchinson to pursue her studies and practice tax law in Wichita, Kansas, she is excited to be practicing law in her hometown.
Rachel graduated from Wichita State University with a Bachelor's in Business Administration in 2011 and a Master's in Business Administration in 2013. After working as a corporate strategy specialist, Rachel attended the University of Kansas School of Law, graduating in 2017. During law school Rachel found an affinity for tax law and worked in a Big 4 accounting firm as an intern in their international tax department. Upon graduating from law school, Rachel pursued an Executive LL.M. in Taxation from Georgetown University Law Center, graduating in 2018. It is often joked that Rachel is a perpetual student. While she currently has no plans for more formal education (never say never), her love of learning continues to shape her work and help her to provide the best representation to her clients.
While Rachel primarily represents clients in business, estate planning, and probate matters, she has provided tax advice and represented clients in tax controversies before the Internal Revenue Service and the Kansas Department of Revenue. Rachel began volunteering with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program during law school to provide free tax help for low-to-moderate income families who need assistance preparing their tax returns. She continues to volunteer with VITA through the Volunteer Center of Reno County and enjoys using her tax knowledge to give back to the community she holds dear.
In her spare time, Rachel can typically be found curled up with her very spoiled “fur baby,” Charlotte, reading a good book or binging the latest show on Netflix.
Principal Areas of Practice
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. Tax Court
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C. (Executive LL.M. in Taxation; Certificate in International Taxation, 2018)
- University of Kansas School of Law, Lawrence, Kansas (J.D.; Certificate in Business and Commercial Law, 2017)
- Wichita State University, Wichita, Kansas (M.B.A., 2013)
- Wichita State University, Wichita, Kansas (B.B.A. with Minors in Economics, Finance, Management, 2011)
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- Reno County Bar Association (Treasurer, 2022)
- Kansas Women Attorneys Association (District D Representative)
- Wichita Bar Association (Former)
- Wichita Women Attorneys Association (Former)
- Wichita Bar Association's Estate Planning and Probate Committee (Former)
- Hutchinson Friends of the Zoo Board of Directors (Board Member, Special Advisor, Executive Committee)
- Young Professionals of Reno County (Council Member, Secretary)
- Kansas Women Attorneys for Freedom
- Volunteer Income Tax Program (VITA) Volunteer